Published: 2nd Jul 2020

Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council has bought a church in Loftus high street for £47,500, as part of its plans to regenerate the local area. The local authority plans to renovate the former Loftus United Reformed Church into a business and cultural event space which could stream cinema films and host community performances. The church was built in 1906 by Charles Hebditch who later married there. It closed its doors in the 1990s and has stood empty ever since. The church is considered a key building in the area, with its tower marking the west end of Loftus and the entrance to the historic heart of the town. Earlier this year, the council also bought the Grade II-listed former Barclays Bank building, located at the heart of the Market Place, to transform it into high-quality tourist accommodation and to reintroduce a form of banking or post office service to the … (To read the full article, subscribe below)