Website Kirklees Metropolitan Council
There is one permanent and one If we receive a high volume of applicants we may need to close applications early
Are you looking for an opportunity to work as a Senior Engineer, whilst still being able to develop your career and have a good work-life balance? If so, then here at Kirklees Council we have the ideal job for you.
We are looking for a knowledgeable/passionate Senior Engineer to work in our Highway Maintenance Design Team who ideally holds a degree/HNC or proven experience of working at that level. You will also need to have the skills/attributes to supervise staff and be competent in using Microsoft Office, GIS based mapping systems and AutoCAD/Key systems.
The Highway Maintenance Design Team are responsible for the delivery of £8 million pounds capital/revenue programme which is built up of traditional kerbing, footway and carriageway improvements to preventative maintenance such as patching, surface dressing and micro asphalt. We are continually looking at new innovative treatments ensuring good asset management principles are adopted and that they work cohesively with the life cycle of the council’s most valuable asset, the highway network.
On a day to day basis the senior engineer role is very varied. This is a role that will involve the gaining of experience, knowledge and expertise in Highway Maintenance, and as a Senior Engineer you will:
• Undertake, and supervise others in, the detail design of highway maintenance schemes
• Prepare and supervise others in the preparation of scheme drawings, bills of quantities and other documentation for the highway maintenance schemes you are involved in
• Understand the principals of an NEC contract to assist in the management of contractors
• Be able to identify appropriate treatments and materials for defective situations taking into account the life cycle of the asset.
• Skills/attributes to manage/priorities your workload
• Prepare and supervise others in the preparation of technical and financial reports to ensure all schemes are appropriately approved and authorised for construction
• Undertake the relevant duty holder’s role under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, in particular as Designer
• Undertake supervision of works being undertaken as a result, and keep clear and accurate records of those inspections
• Undertake and supervise others in the undertaking of project management including managing project budgets
• Investigate and respond to requests from members of the public, Councillors and MP’s and understand the need for effective and efficient communication, both written and verbal
You will need a full and valid driving licence, and a willingness to undertake and pass a Kirklees Council driving test
At Kirklees Council, we want to support your professional development to give you the right skills, confidence and support to really achieve your potential. We offer a variety of courses and training designed for this exact purpose.
We value the importance of having work life balance, so this is why we offer provisions such as flexible-working, generous holiday entitlement, a variety of special leave policies, employee healthcare services and a childcare voucher scheme. There is a market rate supplement of £2000 applied to this job role.
For more information about this job, please visit jobs.kirklees.gov.uk and have a look at the job profile.
If you have any queries regarding the post please email them to [email protected]
If you are interested in what we are offering, and have the skills we are looking for, have a look at the attached job profile for more information. To apply please go to Total Jobs and upload your CV
To apply for this job as a secondment you must be a substantive employee of the Council with over 6 months continuous service and have successfully completed your probation period. If you would like to apply for this job as a secondment, please contact HR Recruitment for more information.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.kirklees.gov.uk.