Website Telford & Wrekin Council
37 hrs per week
Essential Car User Allowance
Market Factor 20%
Are you looking for a challenge, and a diverse range of work?
Do you want to work in an innovative, positive team that shapes and develops the places we live and work in?
If so apT want to hear from you. Working in our highly innovative and motivated Building Control Team, our Principal Building Control Surveyor will be the technical lead on all Building Control matters and other allied legislation across the Borough under the overall guidance of the Building Control Manager.
apT Development Consultancy is part of Telford & Wrekin Council. We deliver planning services from a team which includes Highways Development Control, Ecology, Conservation, Healthy Spaces and Building Control.
We deliver holistic and innovative solutions to all our customers. We are also visionaries in our field. apT are the Midlands’ first public sector commercial planning, development and environmental consultancy who support developments through the regulation process, from the promotion of land to achieving consents, through to their safe completion on behalf of clients across the region including Shropshire, Cheshire and the wider Midlands.
You will be based in Telford – a destination of vibrant places and experiences where people love to live, work and play. Sitting in the heart of Shropshire, Telford is the gateway between the Midlands and Wales. Rich in heritage and natural beauty, the borough has a vibrant town centre that’s currently expanding and a 450 acre town park with numerous leisure facilities;
This New Town celebrated its 50th birthday in 2018, and continues to grow from the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution and one of the UK’s first World Heritage Sites to now delivering more than 76 hectares of employment and circa 17,000 new homes up until 2031, as part of the newly adopted Telford & Wrekin Local Plan.
Being part of apT ensures you will be play a part in the development and creation of creative and positive places for those who live and work in Telford, building a safe and sustainable environment for future generations to enjoy
This post is recognised as a highly specialised senior expert on all Building Control matters.
- Responsible for coordination of quotes for potential work.
- Responsible for allocation of building control applications.
- Undertaking appraisals, considering the technical, financial, and planning implications of schemes.
- Developing design proposals, which provide the optimum solution for the client in terms of compliance, siting, orientation, energy rating, internal arrangement, appearance, and cost.
- Leading multi-disciplinary design teams to achieve Client/Council/regulatory objectives achieving compliance and are ensuring completed within budget.
- The preparation of detailed reports on applications, successfully integrating building fabric with structure, services, and ICT in a cost effective and innovative way to comply with regulatory standards.
- Liaising and negotiating with statutory and regulatory bodies Planning, Fire Officers and service utilities to ensure that the proposals comply with legislation including CDM and other health & safety legislation
- Assisting in the administration of applications including the development and negotiation of fees.
- Promotion of service, and development of partnerships with construction sector
- Deputise for the Building Control Manager in their absence.
- Advises Service Delivery Manager of progress of applications on a regular basis, seeking guidance as appropriate on major schemes.
- We are looking for a keen, customer focused candidate with proven experience of working in a high quality Building Control environment.
- You will have demonstrable wide ranging knowledge and understanding of the legislation and technical documents underpinning the Building Regulations, be proficient in effectively managing and prioritising workloads in pressurised situations and have excellent customer focus and negotiation skills.
- As a senior member of the Building Control team, you will be knowledgeable in carrying out Building Control functions at all competency levels, such as checking Building Control applications, site inspections and carrying out enforcement procedures.
- You will carry out professional duties in order to ensure developments achieve compliance with the Building Regulations and associated Legislations, as well as liaising with internal and external contacts to ensure information exchange, as well as developing and maintaining relationships with stakeholders.
- In addition, you will use your extensive knowledge of Building Control to assist in the promotion of and commercial aims of the service.
For further information please contact Joe Strafford on 01952 384555 or
email : Joe.firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description & Person Specification
To apply for this job please visit www.wmjobs.co.uk.