Website Kirklees Metropolitan Council
In response to increasing demands, including work connected to the 2026 cut-off date and the emergence of the Local Plan, we are looking to expand our public rights of way team. A Definitive Map Officer has responsibility for the preparation and continuous review of the Definitive Map & Statement for Kirklees. In an often contentious service area, we record and protect the public rights of way network for people to use. Our work includes a considerable range of processes including: analysing witness evidence, historical research and interpretation for modification order applications, engaging with developers and landowners for public path orders – diversions, creations and extinguishments, plus negotiating with a wide range of stakeholders including user groups and other local authorities. We also provide advice to colleagues, including to the planning service and to developers to ensure that opportunities for informal recreation and/or commuting are provided – linking towns and villages to each other and into the wider countryside.
Requirements for this job include:
- Taking a lead role in processing DMMO applications from start to completion
- Knowledge of current legislation relating to PROW.
- Proven ability to research historic documents, investigating claims of PROW.
- Undertaking site inspections.
- Advising on PROW issues.
- Ability to prepare reports for Committee.
- Experience of consulting with stakeholders.
- Representing the Council on PROW issues; preparation of documentation and attendance at public inquiries and Magistrates’ Court.
Are you passionate and knowledgeable about Public Rights of Ways? Does your enthusiasm and up to date knowledge inspire and motivate others to take part and do things better. This job will provide you with the opportunity to work on developing and improving our green spaces and protecting this marvellous public resource.
In order to be shortlisted for this job please demonstrate how you meet the Person Checklist as detailed on the attached Job Profile. CV’s will not be accepted.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.kirklees.gov.uk.