London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and London Borough of Wandsworth
- Are you looking for working arrangements that enhance your work-life balance?
- Do you want to join a team who share your positive and ambitious approach?
- Do you thrive on delivering high quality, robust and transparent service with successful outcomes?
If you answered yes, we would love to hear from you!
We have an exciting opportunity within the Spatial and Transport Planning service for 2 x Policy Planner roles:
- 1 x permanent
- 1 x fixed term for 1-year with the potential to extend.
There has never been a more challenging – or rewarding – time to work for Richmond and Wandsworth.
You will take a key role in a small team of planning professionals in providing definitive and professional advice for the councils, by creating and applying planning policy and strategy, and delivering successful planning outcomes.
The complexity of projects you will get involved in will vary depending on your experience – the best place to grow your career.
- Assist with the delivery of a high quality, robust and transparent Planning Policy service.
- Ensure decision making within tight time frames and that the Spatial and Transport Planning service is recognised as delivering an excellent planning service for all our customers.
- Assist on an area of planning policy, including on the drafting of policies for the emerging Local Plans, providing policy advice on planning applications, pre-application advice requests and correspondence to agreed and identifiable timescales.
- Have the opportunity to get involved in (and where appropriate lead on), specialist projects related to planning policy, including on producing evidence and research for the Local Plans, and its broader implementation within the borough, as allocated by the Principal Planner (Policy) and the Planning Policy and Design Team Manager.
- Assist in consultation and community engagement activities as part of your role.
- Complete all your projects to schedule and within budget, through the use of excellent time management and organisation skills.
- You will need to demonstrate an awareness for planning issues and development, including an ability to write reports as well as read and interpret information.
- As you progress in your role, we will expect you to develop a good understanding of spatial planning, including on conducting research and analysing, interpreting and summarising large amounts of information.
- Above all, you will show a passion for the work we are doing and the drive to achieve great results with us.
- You will have the opportunity to acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to become self-reliant in dealing with technical and people issues.
- Whilst RTPI membership is not required, you will need qualifications that would allow you to achieve RTPI membership in the long term.
Who Are We
Wandsworth is a thriving Inner London Borough on the southern banks of the River Thames that is steeped in a diverse history. The borough features landmarks such as the iconic Battersea Power Station, Ram Brewery and Clapham Junction Station, and is acknowledged for its famous green spaces such as Wandsworth and Clapham Commons, Putney Heath and the Grade II* listed Battersea Park.
Richmond is arguably London’s most attractive borough with the River Thames running for over 10 miles through the borough, linking Hampton Court Palace, Richmond and Twickenham town centres and Kew Gardens with London. Richmond boasts Royal Parks and open spaces, historic houses, vibrant town centres bursting with life, as well as being the home of English rugby.
We are positive and ambitious – When you join us, you’ll apply the same approach.
In return, we can offer you working arrangements that will enhance your work-life balance. These include home working (dependent on service need), and a generous holiday allowance of 31 days plus bank holidays.
In addition, we offer a range of staff benefits such as membership of the Local Government contributory pension scheme, new technology scheme, interest-free loans on annual travel cards, discounts at many leisure activities, restaurants, shops and other establishments. A wide range of developmental opportunities are also offered.
If you would like to discuss this opportunity in more detail, please contact Andrea Kitzberger-Smith, Planning Policy and Design Team Manager on 020 8891 7364 or email [email protected].
Richmond and Wandsworth are currently reviewing our pay, reward and benefits framework, in partnership with Trade Union colleagues. We are developing different options that make sure we have a fair and transparent system in place.
Indicative Recruitment Timeline
Closing Date: Sunday 29th September 2019
Shortlisting Date: Monday 30th September 2019
Interview Date: Thursday 3rd October 2019
Please note that these dates are only indicative at this stage and could be subject to change.
The closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to making our recruitment practices as inclusive as possible for everyone. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and developing a culture that values differences, recognising that employees from a variety of backgrounds bring important and positive contributions to the Councils and can improve the way we deliver services.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.richmondandwandsworth.gov.uk.