Our Data & Analytics service is evolving, and we want you to be a part of it. We are seeking skilled junior analysts with the desire to continue their development in a range of data science skills to join our service and help use data to drive Essex forward.
We want people who are passionate about how we can use the information of the past to predict the future and make tangible, real world change in our communities. We believe that unlocking the power of data can help us better understand our county. So, if you want to be a part of an exciting network of data scientists, analysts, developers, designers and more, then this is the job for you!
As a junior analyst in our service, you will have the opportunity to work across a range of subjects, including Adult & Children’s Social Care, Deprivation, Disadvantage & Social Inequality, Education Services and Economic Growth. You will also have the chance to be involved in our exciting partnership ventures, such as the Open Data Programme, and the Essex Centre for Data Analytics (ecda).
Using your analytical expertise, you will help us to answer questions like:
– Which infrastructure projects will give us the largest return on investments?
– Can we predict future demand against our service areas?
– Which communities are at most risk of deprivation in the future?
– How can we better support people to ensure children are ready for school at age 4?
– Where are businesses most in need of support in Essex?Job Purpose
The Junior Analyst role is part of a flexible team within the Data and Analytics Service providing key stakeholders with the insight and intelligence needed for effective leadership, governance and decision making.
The role will employ a range of data science, data visualisation and analytical techniques in their work. Typical tasks will include: scoping and development of system/reporting requirements; ‘deep dive’ analyses; mapping; and predictive analytics such as population and demand forecasting or risk stratification, for example. This will require working with a wide range of data and evidence sources, including local, partner and open sources for the development of services and products to agreed service standards.
The role requires the ability to demonstrate technical skills in a range of data science and/or analytical specialisms and will be supported to develop these as an analyst by a team of senior analysts and analysts.
* Responsible for providing key stakeholders with timely, relevant and accurate information and insight required for effective leadership, governance, commissioning and decision making.
* Responsible for using a range of sources, analytical techniques and data science to produce high quality analysis, working with others to develop clear recommendations for action to improve outcomes for local people and/or organisational effectiveness.
* Developing your understanding of the business, its processes, data and priorities and applying analytical techniques to present, communicate and disseminate analytical products effectively, appropriately and with high impact.
* Supported to work collaboratively with stakeholders, analysts and researchers to scope requirements and develop robust insightful products that enable colleagues to understand current and future needs, demands, trends and supply across geographies.
* Responsible for using intellectual curiosity to proactively explore areas and provide useful, timely analysis that enables the organisation to focus on demand management and prevention, as well as ‘whole systems’ integration.
* Working with a range of analysts supporting high quality analysis that draws on a range of sources and uses the most appropriate medium to visualise data to tell compelling and actionable stories with clear recommendations to improve outcomes for local people or organisational effectiveness.
* Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience* Educated to RQF level 6 (Bachelor’s degree) or equivalent by experience.
* Evidence of continuing professional development and knowledge in relevant professional area.
* Practical experience and knowledge of qualitative and quantitative analytical tools. Technical skills including advanced user knowledge of Microsoft Office, experience manipulating data within Microsoft Excel.
* Use of R or other programming language for data science advantageous.
* Knowledge and understanding of the practical implementation of the Data Protection Act, in relation to handling data for analytical and research purposes.
* Experience of presenting data and analysis in a creative was, utilising a range of data visualisation techniques to communicate complex messages simply to a range of audiences.
* Excellent collaboration and communication skills. A self-starter with the ability to manage and prioritise own workload in a busy environment.
* Motivated to learn and develop both technical and softer skills in a professional environment.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on the Working for Essex website.
To apply for this job please visit essexcc.taleo.net.