Full Time: Permanent
Location: 90 Leycroft Road
Salary: £41,846 – £44,697
Closing date: 21st February 2019
About the job
Leicester City is at the forefront of pioneering transport improvements. Our award winning Connecting Leicester programme continues to deliver multi-million pound public realm investment, improving accessibility across the city. We have recently completed an impressive new £13m bus station and have secured National Productivity Investment Funding for major highway improvements in support of public transport. The Leicester economy is showing strong growth with high profile inward investments creating thousands of new jobs. Many of these improvements are delivered by City Highways.
City Highways are Leicester City Council’s in-house highway construction service undertaking the delivery of major highway capital and revenue work programmes. This includes major public realm improvement schemes, highway repairs and maintenance services, drainage and winter gritting. The unit has an annual turnover of over £8 million per annum and employs over a 100 staff.
The Commercial Manager is highly important role in City Highways management team, leading on the provision of site engineering, quantity surveying, stores and logistics provision, financial and business administration activities in support of the operational construction and service activities. The role includes managing the unit’s quality management, environmental and safety systems, ensuring work activities are carried out safely and to the required standards.
The Commercial Manager is responsible for managing a large team of technical and administrative staff undertaking a broad range of functions. The role requires the postholder to be highly motivated and performance driven.
- Ensure that the City Highways Group works effectively and efficiently in the delivery of the Councils strategic aims (including LTP, TAMP and Economic Action Plan).
- Develop, monitor and manage performance targets to ensure City Highways Group, Divisional and Council programmes and budgets are met. Action service model change in alignment with current industry standards and practices.
- Identify, develop and implement proposals for ongoing service improvements through creativity, innovation and personal development.
- Provide and maintain an effective quantity surveying and financial management system.
- Develop, procure and manage necessary contracts to ensure that the City Highway Group can deliver all elements of the annual highways and civil engineering works programme. Procurement routes to be aligned with DfT and national highway asset management and efficiency agendas.
- Manage the unit’s plant and logistic provision, ensuring that materials are delivered on time and that items plant of plant are maintained and suitable for use.
- Mange the unit’s quality and safety management systems and procedures and the provision of a departmental stores service.
Our ideal candidate
Must have broad experience of Highway construction and management techniques.
Awareness of current issues affecting construction project delivery including statutory requirements.
Substantial and relevant experience of the measurement and valuation of civil engineering works, tendering, rate setting, negotiation of contractual claims and job cost analysis.
Significant experience in the management of a team of technical staff.
Manage development and maintenance of operational performance management regimes, including quality, safety and environmental management systems.
Experience of identifying inefficient work methods and implementation of improvements.
Experience of procurement of large works contracts, standard forms of contracts (NEC3 and ICC) and contract management and monitoring.
For an informal discussion please contact Martin Fletcher on 0116 454 4965.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.leicester.gov.uk.