Clean & Green Volunteer Co-ordinator – Ref: EE40319
- Walsall Borough
- £22,180 to £26,208 per annum (pay award pending)
- Annual leave 25 to 30 days per annum (depending on length of local government service)
- Walsall Council, Clean & Green Services
We are seeking a self-motivated individual to engage local communities, taking a lead role in helping to clean up the borough and change social attitudes towards litter. Working in the heart of local communities to enable them to feel empowered and confident in identifying their local priorities and taking action through volunteering initiatives to address the specific litter issues in their areas.
Main activities include:
- To play a key role in the development and sustainability of working with volunteers in a bid to address problems associated with littering and fly tipping within the borough.
- To work with young people primarily through links through schools to bring about behaviour change in young people and those connected to them so that good habits learned in schools are followed through into homes and communities
- Develop and promote a litter-prevention partnerships among local businesses. Working with businesses in town and district centres to sign up to High Streets Pledges with an aim to encourage every high street to aspire to work together to inspire an increase in jobs and growth, by creating a healthy daytime, evening and night‑time economy, through clean environment, shop frontages and attractive town centres. Including engaging and support ‘In Bloom’ bids and awards.
- Support local clear-up days targeting litter ‘grot spots’ to reduce litter in the immediate short term in these areas. In the longer term they also help to build and raise awareness, providing a structured way new volunteers to start taking action against litter in their area.
- To recruit and encourage volunteers, working within the community to develop a network of skilled individuals to support pride in areas we live and work, assisting in managing cleaner neighbourhoods.
- To develop and deliver a training programme for schools, businesses etc. in order to raise awareness of environmental issues, the Litter Act for England 2017 to create a culture where it is totally unacceptable to drop litter through education, enforcement and infrastructure.
- To work with partners, internal departments, community protection, green spaces, external organisations such as Keep Britain Tidy and local community groups for a joined up approach to developing anti-litter campaigns, delivered and funded through revenue budgets, grants, partners, private and voluntary sectors.
Interested candidates should possess:
- The ability to demonstrate the range of competencies set out within the Job Description
- IT skills good levels of literacy and information technology– demonstrate competency in MS Office, Word, Excel, Power point, Outlook,etc.
- Significant experience in Customer care and communications, within the service / voluntary sector
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills across a broad range of areas and audiences including press releases, internal reports, campaign material, newsletters, etc.
- Good standard of written and spoken English to minimum GCSE level or equivalent
Closing date: 30 April 2019
Walsall Council takes seriously the responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of all the children and young people entrusted to our care and it is our expectation that all staff will share this commitment. We will ensure continuous development and improvement of robust recruitment processes and procedures that promote a culture of safeguarding amongst our workforce. Completion of an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check is a requirement for this role.
Note: Applicants appointed to posts that require an enhanced DBS clearance must declare any periods of time that they have lived, studied or worked abroad and be prepared to provide an Overseas Criminal Records Certificate (OCRC) or a Statement of Good Conduct (SOGC) relating to anytime they were overseas.
To apply for this job please visit www.wmjobs.co.uk.