We are looking for an influential leader for the truly place shaping role of Assistant Director of Housing and Community Safety.
York has a legacy of pioneering approaches to housing stretching for over a century; starting with Joseph Rowntree who provided community housing and was committed to understanding the root causes of social problems in order to create a better society.
We have retained this ambition for the city. Today we maintain and regenerate 7,500 social housing properties and are building 600 environmentally efficient, carbon neutral new homes, 40% of which are affordable, whilst developing treasured homes in green and healthy neighbourhoods.
You will be responsible for an annual £100m revenue budget, £200m 5 year capital expenditure and approx. 300 staff and in summary delivers the following:
- Housing Delivery – development of new housing for the city including older peoples accommodation. With a pipeline of development worth in excess of £150m
- Housing services – allocation of council housing, management of tenants, hostels, travellers’ sites. Also licensing of private landlords, houses or multiple occupancy, aids and adaptations.
- Building services – repair and maintenance of housing stock and capital modernisation programme.
- Community safety – strategic direction for community safety and local delivery of community safety outcomes representatives from key voluntary and statutory agencies including City of York Council, North Yorkshire Police, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, Probation, Public Health, Office of the Police and Fire Commissioner and York CVS
- Head of Older Persons Accommodation – Identification of need and delivery of appropriate accommodation.
- Housing & building services ICT project – a £2 million project to consolidate all old housing and building services systems into one integrated system.
We are proud of York’s status as one of the safest and best cities in the UK to live, protecting and engaging our 200,000 residents and 7 million visitors. However we are not complacent and are resolute in our ambition to do more which includes:
– being one of the first carbon neutral cities by 2030; protecting our environment for future generations, rising to the challenge of the climate emergency
– building on our Gold Standard (York were the 3rd Council nationally to be awarded the Gold Standard) approach to further reduce rough sleepers (building on the reduction from 29 to 7 in the last 3 years) and realise the benefits from the new 57 unit homeless hostel;
- working in collaboration with partners to combat the threat of terrorism, anti-social behaviour, serious organised crime and tackle the tensions between visitor economy and residential communities.
- delivering innovative approaches to meet the housing demand including: affordable homes through shared ownership, self-build and community build options, the regeneration of existing social housing and influencing the private housing sector.
- investing in modern technology to enable self-serve and business intelligence to drive service improvement and impact.
- engaging through mature partnerships and cross functional working – make every contact count to enhance the health and wellbeing of our residents and communities.
This is what we are looking for……
This is an excellent opportunity for a progressive leader to address the challenges of local government and help build the reputation of City of York Council. This role will play a vital role in driving change, forming collaborative partnerships and influencing key stakeholders.
This pivotal senior position joins us at a time when we have talented teams and strong leadership with great ambition for the future of our Council and for the city itself.
In order to maximise impact with limited resources, you will:
- galvanise our teams, encourage truly shared goals and help define a more collaborative team environment
- be outwardly focussed, constantly learning to challenge our thinking and ensure an agile and customer focussed approach;
- strategically lead across the directorate, council and wider partnerships with clarity of focus and cohesion;
- tackle challenges head on and gets things done; whilst robustly managing performance, and providing assurance;
- expertly understand and navigate the housing and community safety landscape.
Professionally York is large enough to provide the rich mix of complexities facing local government. This what provides the professional challenge, but at the same time it is small enough to enable you to get things done. That’s the professional reward!
We are looking for a talented and ambitious individual who can make a personal impact on the changes to our organisation and leave a professional legacy in York.
If you are interested in meeting the challenge, enhancing your career and making your mark in York then we look forward to receiving your application. We encourage confidential exploratory discussion regarding this opportunity.
For further information, contact details and to apply visit www.yorkappointments.co.uk
This is a politically restricted role.
We do not accept applications from agencies.
To apply for this job please visit www.yorkappointments.co.uk.