It would be a social and cultural disaster if the Olympics that were sold to the world on London’s vibrant and multicultural character led to the creation of a homogenised, gentrified east end.
February 2013 - NewStart
It was simply unfair of Turner-Mitchell to criticise and write off all of the Portas pilots because he was unhappy with some of them; and simply lazy of the press to repeat his views without looking deeper.
Addressing or alleviating poverty should be an explicit and overarching objective for all providers. Social hearts to be underpinned, not subsumed by business minds. This is the only way to ensure that future housing provision meets the needs of people in poverty.
Settling devolutionary deals with 20 areas around the country, covering 67% of the population, has real potential to stimulate growth and economic development. Now for the other 33%!
It is certainly a missed opportunity to empower local communities to deliver the growth we need. In particular, the bill needs to focus on providing local areas with the tools to hold financial services providers to account in order to improve access to credit on fair terms for both households and businesses.
For me, social value consideration in procurement practice in local government needs to run beyond the pre-procurement stage of the cycle; but be embedded in service design and commissioning; procurement strategy; and in service delivery.
We talk about the value of place in the abstract, not in the gut. Perhaps if we’re more comfortable talking about love in relation to places, we could actually go about the job of making loveable places.
Wind power is today very much back in vogue. Micro generation is affordable, thanks to Government 'feed in tariffs'. This means that the two 5kw turbines sited in my garden earn their owner enough to give his company sufficient return to attract city investment. I on the other hand get free electricity when the wind blows.
Britain led the world in developing mutual financial institutions and public savings banks, but now its local banking sector pales in comparison to that of the US and Germany. Tony Greenham asks what the UK learn from other countries in rebuilding its stakeholder banks?
If the current period of consultation bears fruit, local government pension fund trustees will soon be able to up the amount of their portfolio they can invest in infrastructure and social housing from 15% to 30%. It's been calculated that between them, these pension funds could pay for 300,000 new homes.